Iced coffee in three cool varieties
More than just cold coffee – cold brew, lavender latte and affogato
Whether on its own, as a cool mixed drink, or served the traditional way with vanilla ice cream: cold coffee forms the basis for numerous recipes that give you that extra caffeine kick – and is the perfect refreshment on warm summer days. Using coffees from our Röstkunst (art of roasting) range, we show you how to prepare cold brew coffee in just a few steps, how to mix a refreshing lavender latte on ice, and the best way to serve a classic affogato.
How to prepare cold brew
With its fruity and mild flavour, cold brew is a refreshing alternative to warm filter coffee. The subtle difference is down to how the coffee is brewed: in contrast to filter coffee or espresso, cold brew is prepared with cold water and is steeped for between 17 and 24 hours according to taste. Cold brew is particularly palatable due to its low acidity and stands out for its fruity flavour and natural sweetness. Stored in the fridge, this coffee retains its flavour and aroma for a good two weeks.
Our coffee recommendation: Röstkunst Ethiopian Crown.
Preparation in a French press
- Add one litre of lukewarm water (approx. 30°C) to 100 g of fresh, medium-coarse ground coffee and stir well.
- Push the plunger of the French press down a little so that all the coffee grounds are under water.
- Leave the coffee to steep for around 17–24 hours at room temperature. Then slowly push the plunger down to the bottom of the beaker.
- Pour the coffee through a filter into another pot or container. All done!
Cold brew is the perfect base for refreshing mixed drinks. Simply finish it off with some cold coconut milk, fresh fruit juice or tonic water and enjoy!
Summery recipe for lavender latte
Coffee with herbs? What a great combination! A number of herbs are perfect for combining with coffee and give the beverage an additional “kick”. The taste of lavender pairs very well with lighter and more balanced roasts of coffee. Its sweet fragrance and slightly tart and bitter flavour, which is reminiscent of rosemary, lends the coffee a summery, Mediterranean aroma. The perfect drink for warm summer evenings!
Our coffee recommendation: Röstkunst Tanzania Gombe.
Preparation in a Chemex brewer
Cold brew forms the perfect basis for this iced lavender latte. This iced coffee can also be made with a cup of freshly brewed filter coffee.
- Prepare a cup of coffee.
- In a glass, mix two teaspoons of honey and lavender syrup to taste.
- Add ice cubes and pour over the coffee until the glass is 2/3 full.
- Fill the glass to the top with milk, mix well and enjoy!
Vegan milk alternatives go wonderfully with all cold coffee creations. We recommend almond or rice milk.
Affogato: the Italian classic
A delightful dessert or small afternoon snack: affogato is wonderfully refreshing, especially in the hot summer months. This Italian classic tastes best with expressive, dark-roasted espresso beans so that the flavour of the ice cream doesn’t completely “steal the show”.
Our coffee recommendation: Röstkunst Espresso Barista.
Preparation in a stovetop espresso maker
- Prepare a cup of espresso.
- Put one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass.
- Pour over the warm espresso – pronti, via!
Affogato is traditionally prepared with vanilla ice cream, but flavours such as hazelnut, chocolate, pistachio and almond also go very well with this recipe.